I decided to move my sites and blog to linode. I wanted more flexibility than a standard web host would provide.
In case you have to move a WordPress blog, here is roughly what I did:
- Created a backup of old installation on old webhost (this directory had index.php and the wordpress subdirectory)
- In wordpress/wp-config.php you can find your database information (see DB_NAME, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD, etc.)
- Make a backup of your wordpress database as a .sql or .dmp file (basically a text file with all the SQL to re-create your wordpress tables
- On the new server, create the database, user, password, etc. that is specified in the wp-config.php file.
- On the new server, if necessary, update wp-config.php/DB_HOST to point to your new db server (could just be localhost)
- On the new server, expand the backup into a directory you have picked out to hold your new blog
- On the new server, update your web server settings to point to this new directory for your blog
That should be about it. I definitely recommend googling how to do this as my information may have limited use depending on the complexity of your setup.